- Loquat fruit is rich in vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants.
- Loquats have similar taste and flavor as that of apples; tart and sweet with pleasant aroma. Soft and juicy in texture.
- Delicious, loquats are very low in calories; provide just 47 calories per 100 g. Nonetheless, they are rich in insoluble dietary fiber, pectin. Pectin retains moisture in the colon, and thus functions as bulk laxative. By this way, it helps to protect the colon mucous membrane by decreasing exposure time to toxic substances as well as binding to cancer-causing chemicals in the colon.Pectin has also been shown to reduce blood cholesterol levels by decreasing its re-absorption in the colon by binding bile acids resulting in its excretion from the body.
- Loquat fruit is an excellent source of vitamin-A (provides about 1528 IU or 51% of daily recommended levels of this vitamin per 100g), and phenolic flavonoid antioxidants such as chlorogenic acid, neo-chlorogenic acid, hydroxybenzoic acid, feruloylquinic acid, protocatechuic acid, epicatechin, coumaric acids and ferulic acid. Ripe fruits have more chlorogenic acid concentrations.Vitamin A maintains integrity of mucus membranes, and skin. Lab studies have shown that consumption of natural fruits rich in vitamin-A, and flavonoids helps to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- Fresh fruit is very good in potassium and some B-complex vitamins such as folates, vitamin B-6 and niacin and contain small amounts of vitamin-C. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids, helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
- Furthermore, the fruit is also a good source of iron, copper, calcium, manganese, and other minerals. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Copper is required in the production of red blood cells. Iron is required for as a cofactor in cellular oxidation as well for red blood cell formation.
We’re farmers and not doctors so none of this should be treated as medical advice for you. We’re only sharing our personal experience and testimony, which may not be relevant to your specific medical condition. Talk to your doctor about your own personal diet and care and please don’t sue us because we’re trying to help people in need and lawyers are super expensive and every dollar we spend on a lawyer can’t be spent helping others grow food. Thanks!!!